Friday, February 21, 2014

Quote of The Day ~ Unknown


                 Street art is good. I found this quote spray-painted on a wall or bridge or door, it doesn't matter where; the place is long forgotten now. I actually remember smiling at the tragic beauty of it all...
   
"What're you going to do?"
"I don't know.... Something important, something that'll change this crappy world, you know?"

Isn't that everyone's goal? To change the world? At least, it's every high-schooler's goal; every time I asked that question, I got an answer somewhere along those lines.

But what's the point? What's the point of working so hard to make the world a "better" place? What is "better" anyway?
                Faster cars, faster computers, less exercise, more comfort, more knowledge of things we made ourselves. Is that what we're working towards? Making the world a place where every single one of our needs are met instantaneously and comfortably? I, for one, would hate that.
                         It's all so maddening to me. Doesn't everyone see where we're heading? Doesn't everyone see that little by little (the cutest phrase in human history omg), we're destroying what the world was meant to be and making it some..concrete jungle!

I'm not against progress. No, quite the opposite; I love progress :) I love the fact that I no longer have to dress up and go to the outside world to contact other people, I love that I don't have to go to the bookstore to buy books...

But I also hate that. I hate the fact that I talk to people through the virtual world more than I do to them real life; I hate that my favorite second hand bookstore owned by my favorite book-expert (ask her about any book from any century and she's got all the answers :) is going out of business because of Amazon.

Progress = change.

Change is cool. Buuuut if change happens too fast, it's also kinda scary. I think we need to slow down and think about what our change could mean, how it could effect us.

Today may not seem like the worst place (time?) to live in. But actually, it is. Remember the last time you fell asleep with the wind brushing against your face? Or the last time you walked out into your back yard, bare-foot and in your PJs, in the middle of the night just because you couldn't sleep?
               These are some of the things people just don't DO anymore...At least not on a oh-just-another-day basis.

We can't keep changing to make a better world. We already have the best world. We just have to stop running towards the future for a second, and just look.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you guys think?